Sunday, December 15, 2013

Move Over Oreo Balls!

The holidays are here!  And when it comes to me and the holidays, there are two things that you can always count on...  One, I am going to be NAUGHTY.  Two, I will be playing with my food.

About 5 years ago, my dear friend Erin (who I have to see before this year is up) dazzled guests at a Christmas party by bringing these fabulous, yet extremely naughty Oreo balls.

I'm not going to beat up on Oreos as we all know the deal, but as with everything else, there is always a less fattening way to get the same thrill and when it comes to those decadent little Oreo balls, by golly! I think I found it!

I replaced the Oreos with Power Crunch gluten free Chocolate Brownie Wonder Crisp bars and I swear you can't tell the difference!  As a matter of fact, try them for yourself and write in and let me know what you thought!  Yes, a lot less sugar and carbs than the Oreo version, but still one you'd want to "share" verses eating the whole tray.

 Power Crunch Crisp Chocolate Balls


8 Power Crunch Crisp bars
8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Before you begin, prepare a cookie sheet by covering with parchment or wax paper.
Then using a blender, blend the Crisp bars into a powder and mix with cream cheese.  I started mixing both in the blender but transferred the mixture to a bowl to mix with a wooden spoon.  Once mixture was completely mixed, I used a tablespoon to help form the balls, which I put on cookie sheet.  After balls are formed, place cookie sheet in freezer to cool for about one hour. 
Ground Gluten Free Crisp Bars 

Crisps mixed with reduced fat cream cheese


Crisp and cream cheese balls
After an hour remove the balls from the freezer.  Melt the white chocolate using a double boiler.  I used a pot and a metal bowl.  Fill with water about 1/4 the height of the pot and place over medium hit. Put bowl on top and spray with Pam or put a few tablespoons of milk.  (I used almond milk).  This is to keep the chocolate from getting past  heating point to quickly.  You know when its gone over when it goes from nice liquid to thick and stiff batter.
Prepping to melt chocolate

White chocolate chips

Melted chips

Once chocolate is melted, you can either add balls to the bowl (one at a time) or use a spoon to drizzle over the balls.  Melt dark chocolate in a second bowl and repeat.  Then return the balls to the freezer to let them harden.  

Balls with dark chocolate and white chocolate


No bake, these balls are ready to eat within a half hour!  Recipe makes 24 balls.
Balls are 82 calories each, approximately 4.6 carbs and only 2 sugars not including the drizzled chocolate.  Too tired to figure that one out at the moment but you get the idea.  It's bad but not as bad as it could be.  Oh!  Almost forgot... 5 grams of protein per ball!

Enjoy!

I call this one my chocolate Picasso!
Yum!
Power Crunch Gluten Free Crisp




2 comments:

  1. Now, u know I'd make these like right now...if I had all the ingredients!...guess I need to make a ViaminShoppe or BB.com purchase!!! These look freaggin Amazing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were freaggin Amazing! You would love them!

    ReplyDelete