Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Overcoming Fears

Such a proud mama, yesterday my little bear was invited to a pool party at a local swim club. He absolutely loves the water but hadn't yet tried swimming without his life vest. Unfortunately for him, the club didn't allow them.

He so badly wanted to dive in.  He walked to the edge of the plank and just couldn't do it, the fear of not coming up was just too great. He ran down crying into my arms. I hugged him but told him if he wanted to dive HE was going to have to just do it. The life guard was on duty if he needed any support. 

He went back up with tears in his eyes and he just couldn't do it. He ran back down. By this time I had grown a little stern, "If you want to do it, do it. If you are not, let's go back to the party with your friends!  I don't know what else to tell you!"

He stood by my side and watched as other kids were diving without a problem. He looked up at me, tearless and said, "Alright, I'm going to do it this time."  He walked up the stairs and to the edge of the plank. Without giving a look back, he dived in. Within seconds he was back up and swimming to the stairs without his vest.  Needless to say he spent the rest of the afternoon diving fearlessly and my heart beat with every splash. 

You will never know what you can do if you don't just do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment