Thursday, August 15, 2013

Quinoa Crab Cakes

Completely inspired by our Southern vacation last month, I've been reinventing seafood recipes all week.  It started with a low country boil, which isn't too bad if you don't over do the smoked sausage, sweet corn on the cob and red potatoes...but I did! (Bad Girl)

I also surprised the family with an amazingly delicious shrimp and grits breakfast topped with a homemade Creole sauce.  It is sure to rival that of Huey's Cafe in Savannah.  But still wanting to indulge in the Southern flavors but not as many of the calories, I decided to give some crab cakes a bit of a makeover. They were absolutely divine!  I probably won't have the opportunity to make them again before prep begins but I will definitely be revisiting them at some point!

Note:  I tried a batch with Pam in a non stick skillet but they didn't hold as well as the ones I made in a stainless steel skillet with olive oil.  I'll have to work on that.  ;-)



Quinoa Crab Cakes

1 lb lump crab meat
1/3 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup of red pepper (finely diced)
1/4 cup Greek Yogurt (I use Fage Total 0)
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 lemon (juiced)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon dried mustard
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Mix all ingredients together except for the crab meat.  When all combined, fold in crab meat to not break up lumps.  Heat oil in a stainless steel skillet.  When oil is hot, spoon out some mixture and form into patty.  Add to hot oil.  Be sure to press patties down with spatula to remove access liquids.  Flip when browned.  Repeat and remove to a cooling tray.  

These go well on top of a plate covered in a red pepper sauce.  There is one from a Better Homes & Gardens' Vegetable Lasagna recipe that works perfectly!  I have tagged the link here.  

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment