Monday, September 16, 2013

Black Bean Protein Brownies

For the past week I've had visions of brownies dancing in my head. But you know me, always wanting to be a bad girl but never wanting the calories that come along with it.

Working the Gluten & Allergy Free Expo, I was able to check out some substitutes in baking. Who would have ever thought you could replace flour with black beans??  Not me!

I decided to create a recipe to put the theory to the test.  Following is a little something, something I came up with...  a low carb, low calorie satisfying snack.

    Black Bean Protein Brownies

                         

1 15.5 oz Can Black Beans (Drained and rinsed)
6 Scoops Cafe Mocha Proto Whey (Can also use Double Chocolate Proto Whey)
3 Egg Whites
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Espresso (Optional)
3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
Stevia (to taste)
Pinch of Fine Grain Sea Salt
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts (Optional)
1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Morsels (Optional)
Confectioner's Sugar (Optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

Mix beans, whey, egg whites, extract, espresso, coconut oil, cocoa powder, Stevia and sea salt in a food processor or Blentec type blender.  (I used my Blendtec).  

Spray an 8x8 glass Pyrex pan with Pam.  Pour mixture in the pan and spread evenly.  If you decide to be "bad", sprinkle walnuts and morsels over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes.  Let cool then dust with a little confectioner's sugar.

Cut into 16 pieces.  Best served warm.  Consistency reminds me of a warm molten lava cake.  Yummy!

Approximates:  Calories 104.41     Fat 5.7grams     Carbohydrates 7.7 grams     Protein 6.67 grams






No comments:

Post a Comment