Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Quinoa & Black Bean Chili

About a month ago I worked a Gluten & Allergy Free Expo in Seacacus, NJ. While there I had a chance to check out the other booths and vendors.  Lots of cool stuff, as I shared in an earlier post, but I was really intrigued by this "Cowboy" Quinoa Chili in a box.

Quinoa is a seed though typically thought of as a cereal or grain. It's highly favored by vegetarians as it is high in protein and quite filling.  Its cholesterol free, low in fat, gluten free... if you haven't tried it yet, here is the perfect opportunity.

As I've always enjoyed making my own chili, I figured why not give a quinoa chili a try?  This is the 2nd one I've made. Experimenting with yet another salsa as my beloved Green Way Organic Medium Salsa has been MIA from A&P (What's up with that??)  This one turned out well but I still  prefer my Green Way. <3

Quinoa & Black Bean Chili



3 cups cooked Quinoa
1 Can of Black Beans (Rinsed)
3 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
1 Small Yellow Onion (Diced)
1 Large Vine Tomato (Cubed)
1 Jar of Green Way Organic Medium Salsa (for this one I experimented with Dessert Pepper Trading Company Salsa Divino)
1 Cup of Water
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Cumin
Dash of Sea Salt
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro
1-2 Jalapeño Peppers (Sliced) Optional

Spray a large stainless steel skillet with Pam and heat over medium flame.  Add the onions and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes or until transparent.

Add tomato (and jalapeno if you are using) and cook for one minute.



Stir in Salsa, Quinoa, Black Beans and water.  Let simmer for about 3-5 minutes.

Stir in Chili powder, Cumin and Salt.  Lower flame, cover and let simmer 5-10 minutes.



Turn off flame, stir in cilantro and let rest before serving.

I was a bad girl.  I topped mine with a little Smoked Gouda.  But Hey!  I'm off season!  I'm entitled to a little fun  ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment