Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My Hot Cakes Dedicated to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

I woke up this morning with visions of pancakes inspired by Rudy's favorite Girl Scout cookies, Samoas. Of course because of my mission to make cleaner versions of some pretty dirty treats, I had to come up with creative ways to give the flavor without the full load of calories.  The thoughts of caramel led me to agave nectar, which with a little tweaking gave me a nice caramel flavor.

To make sure I wasn't skimping on flavor, I tooled around for Samoa cookie recipes.  Then decided to see if I would be the very first to do a pancake inspired by the popular cookie.  I googled "Samoa inspired pancakes".  The cakes that came up were round and had nothing to do with pancakes (the way I know them) so I kept scrolling.  All I kept seeing was "Samoan".  "Samoan, Samoan, Samoan...." and then I saw his face!  The Rock!!!!  The only pancake lovin' Samoan I know!  LOL!  These had to be his cakes!  Now if any of you can put me in contact with him so I can make them for him myself, I will be forever in you debt.  ;-)

The Rock Hot Cakes are definitely a leg day special, but using the agave nectar verses sugar gives you a treat with a reduced calorie intake.  And with most of the fat  coming from coconut, which is known to boost HDL (good) cholesterol levels, that is going to be good for decreasing the risks of cardiovascular disease.

Rock on!

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Hot Cakes


For Caramel Glaze

1/4 cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Creme Proto Whey
1/8 tsp. course sea salt

For Hot Cakes

1/3 cup ground oats
1 Tbsp. wheat Germ
1 Scoop Vanilla Creme Proto Whey
3 Tbsp. Organic Shredded Unsweetened Coconut (toasted)
1 tsp. stevia
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
1 egg white
4 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
8 Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate morsels

First in a small sauce pan over low to medium heat, coat interior with tablespoon of coconut oil.  Once oil is melted, add the agave and stir with a wooden spoon.  Sift in the whey while continuing to stir to avoid lumps or clumping.  Once the whey has combined smoothly with the agave, throw in sea salt and stir.  Turn off burner and let rest.  You can let sit on very low heat but be careful not to let the caramel burn.

In a medium bowl, combine all dry hot cake ingredients.  Use a fork to sift together.  Once mixed evenly, add egg white, water and vanilla extract.  Lastly, fold in morsels.

Spray a non-stick skillet with Pam and heat on medium flame.  Use a tablespoon to measure out approximately 5 mini cakes. (make sure they all have at least on chip in them).  When the cakes begin to bubble, flip and cook opposite side.  

Once they are done, place on a serving plate and drizzle the caramel over the top of the cakes.  You can add a few more chips and shredded coconut to garnish or just eat as is and save the calories for your next set of cakes.  ;-)

Here's to Visualizing "The Rock" eating my Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Hot Cakes

Serving Size: 1

Nutrition Facts:

Glaze (per tsp.)
Calories 33.9   Fat 1.16  Carb .56  Sugar .39  Protein .41

Hot Cakes
Calories 333  Fat 17.31  Carb 33  Dietary Fiber 7.5  Sugar 6.36  Protein  17.1





No comments:

Post a Comment