Monday, November 11, 2013

ING New York Marathon Weekend

This was my second year managing the New York Marathon Expo for Power Crunch and I'm sure all of you in NY remember what was going on last year. Needless to say this was worlds apart! I arrived the day before the expo began to ensure safe travels and avoid issues getting down to the Javitz with Big Apple traffic to contend with.  It also allotted me some time for a little pampering.

The Lash Loft

I started the weekend with a visit to The Lash Loft.  It's a very stylish lash and wax salon that offers impeccable service!  I arrived "fashionably late" due solely to the fact that I know nothing about parking in the city....especially on the East Side.  LOL!  But I made it in time to get lashed.



The reception area is quite luxurious and has everything you need to start relaxing from sparkling water to dried apricots.  Oh how I love dried fruit and nuts!  When my lash tech, Thandiew was ready for me, I was lead into the "lash lab" greeted by a Lashed Out Alvaro painting.  I remember Alvaro from "back in the day"!  Amazing talent... and what memories!  New York City in the 90's was truly a Groove Thang.

Inside the Lash Loft

Alvaro Painting

Where the glamour happens.
This was my first time being lashed professionally.  I usually go to the local drugstore and pick up a pack of the Ardell Duralashes. (All I can say is don't wear those things and try to take pizza out of the oven!  They will singe faster than you can say, "I'm melting!")

This was definitely a different experience and one I would highly recommend.  I decided to go with the natural look this first visit.  The lashes turned out to be absolutely beautiful and they look very natural though longer than my own, which can typically go unnoticed.  Next time I'm going for the glam set and walking out like a true glammed out Diva.  "Move over Kardashians! There's a new lash queen in town!"  No mascara required.

Before
After
Getting to the root of it, the Arietta males are the ones who lucked out with long, thick lashes.  Salon owner, ShellyAnn Wilson hooked me up with Rapid Lash Eyelash enhancing serum, which is available at the salon.  Unlike Latisse, it doesn't leave your eyes sticky and lacks the parabens and toxin found in other lash lengtheners.  I've only been using it now for about a week, but I will definitely be reporting back.

Rapid Lash
After waving goodbye to the manager, Janelys Matos (with my lashes, of course), I headed off to my next adventure. 

Afternoon Snack!

Dexton's Divine Therapy


Equipped with a mint chocolate Power Crunch bar in hand, I headed down to 75 Wall Street to get a deep tissue massage from my favorite Divine Therapist, Dexton Cummings.  It was much needed as I had just broke my legs off something fierce at Body Quest the night before.  This would be our first full hour together.  Hurt so good!  The fundamental reason to go deep tissue, especially as an athlete is to improve muscle condition by eliminating knots, stiffness and stress in the muscles, which helps with flexibility and overall physical well being.  I strongly recommend them regularly.  And Dexton... when it comes to deep tissue, he's my number one! 

Rock Tape

I slept like a baby that night, but Lord knows the tissue break up had me sore all the next day.  That is, until I discovered Rock Tape at the Marathon Expo.  Rock Tape looks like just tape with branding but it was a lifesaver for my entire staff over the weekend!  Rock Tape stretches and lifts your skin away from your soft tissue allowing more blood to move into the injured area to promote healing and a faster recovery.

It worked so well on my back that I ended up bringing a box home!  I would like to jump into one of the offered Rock Tape training sessions in the future to make sure I'm using it correctly... though taping Rudy up could be fun regardless ;-)


MJ cut strips and strategically taped my back to alleviate the pain

Professionally taped and feeling relieved


Sarah's Kisses Foundation
Our booth was Super busy the entire weekend!  Power Crunch was pretty much gone by day three so we dedicated the day to educating consumers and doing an impromptu fundraiser for the Sarah's Kisses Foundation.  Sarah is the beautiful baby girl of a former high school classmate of mine, also named Kenyatta. (Go figure).  Sarah has been living with Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma since she was diagnosed in June.  She is only 17 months old.  There is a big fund-raiser happening tomorrow in Maryland to help her family with the costs of treatment.  If you find it in your heart to help the Brooks family, you can do so by clicking on the link below Sarah's banner.  I for one would be extremely grateful.

Sarah Needs Our Help

Thank you for considering helping out.

Skechers

My team totally rocked this Marathon Weekend!  We celebrated our success with some cute new matching kicks from Skechers!  Thank you Skechers!  Looking forward to more Power Crunch adventures in the upcoming New Year!




No comments:

Post a Comment