Saturday, November 23, 2013

Iron Love... A New Chapter



Last weekend concluded the first season in which my darling hubs was on contest prep without me.
Initially, we were both going to compete this fall, but after two weeks of prepping, I decided it wasn't my time.  Rudy, on the other hand was excited and revving to go.

In the beginning it was a bit challenging for me to accept that he was going it alone.  The baby in me was secretly hoping he'd choose to sit this one out too.  (Yes, I know!  Horrible, but true.)  I was used to be the center of attention with regard to competing and now the spotlight wasn't going to be on me and that was a different dynamic.

I was torn about not prepping but knew I was at a point where my body and mind needed the break. This was Ru's time.  I can't remember the exact date but I do remember the moment it hit me that I was not being the partner and friend that he needed and deserved.

It wasn't something I did per se.  I didn't make his favorite chocolate cake and tempt him to eat it.  It's just mentally I was not where I should have been for him.  Since I have been competing he has been super supportive and my biggest cheerleader.  I needed and wanted to give him the experience he has always given me.  So, I changed.

Ru made it easy to support him. Since he only did 20 minutes of cardio 4 days a week, he didn't take hours away from the family with  endless sessions at the gym.  Most of his training was done at 5am before he went to work.  He prepped all of his own food and would occasionally bake extra chicken breasts for me.  (I have to tell you, I don't know who does breasts better...Rudy or Dr. Fiorillo.)  They were so yummy!

As it got closer, there were a few instances where he thought may be he should not compete.  It felt really good to be able to encourage him and be the glue to help him stick to it.  I looked forward to my morning texts of him sharing how his workout was.  It was a new layer to our already beautiful friendship.

Rudy competed in NPC East Coast and Eastern USA Championships.  The competitions were a week a part.  I had booths at both events representing my coach, Kim Oddo and the East Coast Oddo's Angels.

East Coast was Rudy's second NPC show.  He placed 4th in the Physique Masters division.  We felt great about his package but suspected that he may need to put on more size over time to improve his placing.  He felt good going into Easterns, but it would be his biggest NPC show yet.  It was stacked with over 400 competitors.  This may have well been a pro qualifying event.  He texted me from backstage for support.  I loved being there for him.  I also loved when he stopped by the booth so that I could oil him before his call to stage.  Oh the little thrills.  ;-)

I kept peeking my head in to see if he was on stage.  I did not want to miss him.  But as luck would have it, I was working with someone at the booth when his group was out.  One of the other vendors who knew him came over to let me know he was up.  I ran in but he had already been judged.  Based on what she said, I had an idea that he would place.  I was so excited for him!

From the feedback we figured that he may need a little more color to get him darker for the night show.   It was Pro Tan to the rescue!  That evening Rudy placed 3rd in the Masters Division and 4th in the Open division in the biggest show he ever competed in.  We celebrated with a night out in the city.  It was Sazon for dinner and The Box for dessert.  ;-)



We headed home the next morning.  Rudy asked me to make my new "Dwayne Johnson" pancakes.  He absolutely loved them.  It's a beautiful thing to truly be there for the one you love.  I'm totally looking forward to supporting his next season... and mine.














No comments:

Post a Comment